Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Spectacularly Stupid Stereotypes

The international difference between men and women is extraordinary. Day by day it amazes me the way that sexes are treated differently. Politically it's incorrect to assume someone's gender according to their career, but that expectation has not carried over to behavior patterns. Men can get away with murder over and over agin, while women take so much heat over the tiniest things. The word "whore" is applied to women easily and flippantly. Men, however, can practice the exact same behavior and all they get is a high five and a "right on, man" from their buddies. Ridiculous. The male culture is absolutely absurd.

I work at a cafe, and today I was scheduled to clean the dining room, collect dirty dishes and wash them. When assigned the task, my male manager asked, "Do you know how to wash dishes?" To avoid responding in an offended manner I simply said, "Of course, I'm a woman." He promptly freaked out and informed me of the following: "We don't even joke like that here." Um... right. I wasn't joking. But whatever, dude. If he wants to defend women's honor to the death, that's all him. I'm just being honest! Women do dishes like rock stars. And we know it.

About twenty minutes later I was out in the dining room cleaning tables and other such nonsense. The cafe I work at is highly renowned for it's customer service, so it's expected that we are friendly with the customers out in the dining room. While I was cleaning tables, I saw this man sitting off by himself. I guessed he was about 35 or 40. He had papers scattered around his laptop, pen marks all over his hands, and an empty coffee mug on his table. I made my way over and cleaned the tables around him, casually asking if he was doing alright and if he needed anything. He struck up a conversation and i felt rude walking away so I stood there and chatted for about five minutes. He was really nice and super interesting, so i had no complaints.

After we finished, I walked back in to the kitchen to proceed with the dishes. Two of my three male managers came over to me with smirks on their faces. One of them said, "It's been like thirty minutes, don't you think your customer service is a little excessive?" The other asked, "Did you at least get a phone number?" They joked back and forth about my "promiscuous flirtation with an older man". Are you freaking kidding me? Men can womanize all over the planet and I can't even be friendly to a middle aged man in my cafe?

Our society is out of control. Just because I'm being nice to a man doesn't I want to get with him. Just because I smile doesn't mean I'm into you. I am polite and friendly because I genuinely care about the well being of the people around me. So suck it. Leave me alone. And let me be friendly to whoever I want.

Here's to all the single ladies. Because friendly doesn't always mean promiscuous.


No comments:

Post a Comment